Next time you heat up your favorite pan, use that time to submit your recipe.
In a deep skillet, on a stovetop griddle, or on a grate out on the grill, cast iron is one of our favorite mediums for cooking fish. Like a trusty steed going into battle, cast iron is just plain old reliable. We want to see your best recipes for using cast iron — whether it’s your grandmother’s recipe or a new but beloved concoction born of your own imagination. Send us your best recipes for a chance to win cool stuff.
Cast Iron Contest Basics
These monthly contests allow us to focus on a specific kind of cooking or species, and this month we want to see the best of the best cast iron recipes. We love the diversity of recipes we get for our annual recipe contest (check out 2020’s Recipe Contest winners here), but this month it’s all about heavy-duty pans and skillets.
P.S. If you’re a member of our Salmonsharesians Facebook group, you can enter your recipe (ingredients, directions, and a photo) as a post and tag us with #CastIronContest. If you’re not in it yet, no sweat! Join today to get exclusive member access to more fishermen and culinary content.
The Recipe Contest Rules
- The contest is open to everyone, both members and non-members. Persons must be legal U.S. residents in one of the 50 United States or District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry.
- Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. Central Time on July 1 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Central Time on July 20 (the “Deadline Date”). All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on the Deadline Date.
- All recipes must include a list of ingredients with specific amounts and step-by-step instructions. Other recipes may serve as inspiration, but all recipes must be original content and not previously published.
- If you are a member of our members-only Facebook page Salmonsharesians, you can submit your recipe and photo as a post on the page. Otherwise, submit your recipe on the Asana form linked here.
- Original recipe content only, maximum of two (2) recipe submissions allowed.
- A team of Sitka Salmon Shares culinary experts will determine the winning recipe based on the three judging criteria.
- The winner will be announced the week of July 26.
Additional legal rules apply. Read the full list of rules, terms, and conditions here.
The Recipe Contest Criteria
All recipes will be judged by the SSS culinary team. In the event of a tie, the recipe with the higher innovation score will win.
- Innovation: Is your recipe original? Does it reflect your personal spin or something special to you?
- Taste: Are the flavors in your recipe balanced? Is every bite absolutely delicious?
- Kitchen-friendly: How approachable is your recipe? Are the ingredients easy to find or do you include appropriate substitutions for the unique ones?
The Recipe Contest Prizes
The Culinary Team will pick a winning recipe, which we’ll share on Sitka Salmon Shares social media. The author will receive a Prize Box of Sitka Salmon Shares fish!