2020 Recipe Contest
Welcome to the 2020 Sitka Salmon Shares Recipe Contest!
We can’t wait to crown this year’s champion with a free trip to majestic Sitka, Alaska (no kidding)!
THE RECIPE CONTEST BASICS
1. Submit your recipe with ingredients and instructions.
2. Help us pick the finalists on our Sitka Salmonsharesians Facebook page. Don't have Facebook? Don't worry, we'll email out the voting form, too.
3. A panel of expert judges will prepare and taste the finalists. The winning recipe contributor receives an all expenses paid trip to majestic Sitka, Alaska, for two!
Those of you who have participated in our recipe contest before know that it’s one of our central community supported fishery traditions. This year we added a twist—we want YOU to help us decide the winner! Our Sitka Salmonsharesians Facebook group has turned into a thriving community for recipes, stories, and inspiration, so we thought it was fitting to lean on the culinary expertise of the group to help us narrow down the finalists. If you’re not on Facebook, anyone can contribute a recipe or vote! Fill out the Google Form (linked below) to enter your recipe, and when the voting stage comes around, we’ll send along another form.
After all the recipes have been entered, a select team of culinary experts will pick the top 10 recipes from the list. The team will rigorously test those 10 recipes, and pick the top 5 to move on to the community voting stage. We’ll share those 5 recipes via email, and post them to our Sitka Salmonsharesians Facebook page for everyone to vote for the TOP THREE. Our Vice President Marsh Skeele, our Wild at Home host Richie Mann, and our new culinary director Grace Parisi will test those three recipes, and vote on the grand prize winner for the 2020 recipe contest!
PS: Click here to join the Facebook page for member voting. We will email out a separate form during the voting stage that can be used to submit your vote outside of Facebook.
PPS: We’ll let you in on a secret: while we love how many salmon recipes we see, we’re on the lookout for more unique whitefish recipes!
THE RECIPE CONTEST RULES
1. The contest is open to everyone, both members and non-members. Persons must be legal U.S. residents in one of the 50 United States or District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry.
2. Contest begins at 12:01 am Central Time on September 10, 2020 and ends at 11:59 pm Central Time on September 30, 2020 (the “Deadline Date”). All entries must be received by 11:59 pm Central Time on the Deadline Date.
3. All recipes must include a list of ingredients with specific amounts, step-by-step instructions, and a photo of the prepared dish. Other recipes may serve as inspiration, but all recipes must be original content, and not previously published. Submit your recipe and photo on the Google Form linked here.
4. Original recipe content only, maximum of five (5) recipe submissions allowed.
5. A team of Sitka Salmon Shares culinary experts will determine the top five (5) semi-finalist recipes based on the “SITKA” judging criteria.
6. Sitka Salmonsharesians Facebook members will determine the top three (3) finalists from the five (5) semi-finalists. (You can also submit a vote by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.)
7. The grand prize winner will be chosen from the top three (3) finalists by the official contest judges: Grace Parisi, our new culinary director; Marsh Skeele, fishermen and resident fish chef; and Richie Mann, host of Wild at Home. The winner will be announced the week of November 16, 2020.
Additional legal rules apply. Read the full list of rules, terms, and conditions here.
THE RECIPE CONTEST CRITERIA
All recipes will be judged based on our ‘SITKA’ method by the SSS culinary team. In the event of a tie, the recipe with the higher innovation score will win.
Seasonality: does your recipe take inspiration from the season?
Innovation: is your recipe a stunning original idea? Does your recipe have your personal spin on it, something that makes it special to you?
Taste: are the flavors in your recipe balanced? Is every bite delicious, from the fish to the sauce or side?
Kitchen-friendly: how approachable is your recipe? Does the recipe have easy-to-find ingredients, or appropriate substitutions for the unique ones?
Appearance: is the dish thoughtfully plated in your photo? Do the instructions lead the chef to plate it beautifully?
THE RECIPE CONTEST PRIZES
The authors of the five (5) semi-finalist recipes will be notified by email on or before October 19th. Grand prize winner will be notified by email on October 4th, and publicly announced the week of November 16th. One grand prize winner will receive an all-expense paid trip with us to Sitka, Alaska! (given COVID-19 - this may take place in 2022). They may even have the chance to be featured in a future episode of Wild at Home! The top five finalists, including the grand prize winner, will receive a box of wild-caught fish and their recipes will be featured on our website! Recipes may also potentially be featured in our What’s Cookin’ e-newsletter or on a future recipe card.
Take a look at the exciting results from 2019's contest below: