East and West coast inspiration in the Midwest!
- 1 Dungeness crab, picked clean of meat from bodies, knuckles and legs
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 scallion, dark green part thinly sliced, light green and white part minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 soft hot dog buns (preferably New England-style or potato buns)
- Old Bay Seasoning or celery salt (optional)
In a medium-size bowl, stir together crab, mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, and minced scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, melt butter until the foam dissipates. Sear buns cut-side down until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Flip to briefly toast and warm the outside, about 30 seconds.
Place toasted bun on a plate and fill with crab mixture. Garnish with sliced scallions and Old Bay seasoning or celery salt, if using.
Know Your Cook
- Chef Ali -
Every summer I go on a lobster roll bender, but the best way to fix winter in the Midwest is with a light crab roll. Combining my summers on the East coast with West coast crustaceans makes me super happy in Chicago. If you can find potato rolls, I think they're the best, but any soft, doughy bread will do. Potato chips or fries on the side are a must! ~ Chef Ali