Ali's Crab Udon
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bairdi crab cluster, picked clean of meat from claws, knuckles and legs
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems reserved, caps thinly sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh or frozen udon noodles (we like Twin Marquis brand purchased in any Asian market)
- 4 baby bok choy, whole or chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Add stock to a medium saucepan with crab shells and mushroom stems. Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and add soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar and sriracha. Bring back to a simmer and cook udon and bok choy until tender. I like my noodles fairly chewy, so taste-test until you are happy.
When udon has reached desired consistency, divide noodles in four bowls. Add sliced shiitake mushroom caps, sliced scallions, baby bok choy and crab meat around the noodles. Ladle stock evenly in the bowls until all ingredients are beginning to float. Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil. Enjoy immediately.
Ready to try this recipe?
Shop our seafood boxes for next week delivery.Shop Seafood Boxes