- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, cranberries or golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook until it begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add the apple, dried fruit, vinegar, sugar, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and 1/2 c water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over medium-low heat until cabbage is tender and liquid has evaporated, 10–12 minutes. Stir in the butter and season with salt to taste.
Ready to try this recipe?
Shop our seafood boxes for next week delivery.Shop Seafood Boxes
Know Your Cook
Culinary Director Grace Parisi is a cook, writer and cookbook author. Formerly the Senior Test Kitchen Editor at Food & Wine Magazine and Executive Food Director at TimeInc Books, her work has appeared in Cooking Light, Health, O Magazine, Epicurious, Fitness, Today, Serious Eats, Martha Stewart, and many more. She’s the author of more than 6 books, among them The Portlandia Cookbook and Get Saucy, which was nominated for a James Beard award for Best Single Subject Cookbook.