- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, cranberries or golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook until it begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add the apple, dried fruit, vinegar, sugar, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and 1/2 c water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over medium-low heat until cabbage is tender and liquid has evaporated, 10–12 minutes. Stir in the butter and season with salt to taste.
Know Your Cook
- Grace Parisi -
Grace Parisi is a cook, writer and cookbook author. Formerly the Senior Test Kitchen Editor at Food & Wine Magazine and Executive Food Director at TimeInc Books, her work has appeared in Cooking Light, Health, O Magazine, Epicurious, Fitness, Today, Serious Eats, Martha Stewart, and many more. She’s the author of more than 6 books, among them The Portlandia Cookbook and Get Saucy, which was nominated for a James Beard award for Best Single Subject Cookbook.