If you close your eyes (really!) tightly, you could almost be sitting in a taverna on the Mediterranean while eating this healthy yet delicious grain bowl. This also makes a perfect summer sandwich filling in toasted pita, with a drizzle of chile sauce, alongside an ice-cold beer — the latter is highly encouraged but not essential!
- 1 pound salmon burger meat (or 1 pound minced salmon), lightly pressed to remove excess moisture
- 2 ½ cups cooked cold bulgur wheat, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill, divided, plus sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, divided
- ¼ cup prepared tzatziki, plus more for serving
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided, plus wedges for garnish
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 (4-ounce) plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, trimmed and diced
- Crumbled feta, sliced red onion, whole pepperoncini, for serving
In a large bowl, combine salmon, ½ cup of the bulgur, 3 tablespoons of the dill, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, the tzatziki, oregano, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Form the mixture into 8 (2-inch long) cigar-shaped ovals. Place on a lightly oiled baking dish and refrigerate just until chilled, 10 to 15 minutes.
Prep bulgur and vegetables
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the remaining bulgur, remaining chopped dill, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In another medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, remaining parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat until shimmering. Add the kefta to the skillet, in batches if necessary, slightly pressing with the back of a spatula to flat slightly. Cook until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium, or 3 minutes per side for well-done.Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Divide the bulgur and tomato-cucumber salad between 2 bowls and top with salmon kefta, crumbled feta, sliced red onion, and dill sprigs. Drizzle lightly with oil and serve with lemon wedges and pepperoncini.
Ready to try this recipe?
Shop our seafood boxes for next week delivery.Shop Seafood Boxes
Pair it Up
Match the Mediterranean flavors in this dish with a southern Italian wine or Greek white wine, like an Assyrtiko.
Know Your Cook
Tara Holland stepped out of her successful career in the financial corporate world to follow her culinary dream and graduated with honors from the Institute of Culinary Education in 2017. She was Assistant Food Editor at Rachael Ray Every Day magazine and is now a freelance recipe developer, writer, and recipe tester. Her work has been in Rachael Ray In Season, Reveal magazine, Cleanplates.com, The Kitchn, and WeightWatchers.