Light, delicious Pacific Cod chowder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut in ½ inch dice
- 3 celery stalks, cut in ½ inch dice
- 1 medium onion, cut in ½ inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, ribs and seeds removed, cut in ½ inch dice
- 3 cups cannellini beans, dried and soaked overnight or canned
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch tuscan kale, ribs removed and thinly sliced, or 8 oz baby kale
- 1 pound Pacific Cod, cut in 1 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil until shimmering. Saute carrots, celery and onion until wilted and just starting to brown, about 7 or 8 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes, stirring to combine. Stir in cannellini beans, tossing to coat. Add stock and herb sprigs; bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes until beans are tender. Season as necessary.
Stir in kale, allowing to wilt, about 2 minutes. Poach Pacific Cod in simmering liquid for an additional 4-5 minutes, until fish is opaque and will flake when pressed. You can also poach the fillet whole and flake into individual dishes. Serve immediately.