2018 Member Recipe Contest ~ Sauce Boss
Mike's Red Chermoula
Serves: 4 | Difficulty:
Prep: 30 mins | Total: 45 mins
by Mike Rosenholtz
Although it wasn’t a ticket to Sitka, Mike’s Red Chermoula did land him the title of Sauce Boss. “Around the time I became a member, I got into sauce-making. I would make a new sauce each week and pair it with all the lovely fish I had been receiving. This unintentionally became a sauce tournament of champions. The best ones got remade and remade. This is the one I keep coming back to. It works well with salmon but really accompanies any fish.” We tried it with black cod (pictured above) and it was delicious! The aromatic tanginess of this sauce is sure to elevate any species of fish preparation.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Fresno or other slightly hot chile, diced
- Small handful of cilantro (about 1/4-1/3 of bunch), thick stems removed and the rest chopped fine
- 1 tsp sweet paprika (Hungarian or smoked Spanish)
- 1 tsp hot paprika (Hungarian or smoked Spanish)
- 0.5-1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar or juice of half a lemon
- 4-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed and minced (optional)
- half a preserved lemon rind (optional)
Combine all ingredients aside from the olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
This recipe was originally submitted with pan-seared salmon, but works with any fish. Try lightly seasoning your fish of choice with salt and pepper, cook it to preference (pan sear, broil, bake, or grill) and top with a generous portion of Mike's Red Chermoula. It's also delicious with potatoes (think next-level ketchup... Actually, that comparison doesn't do this sauce justice).
We hope you enjoy this sauce as much as we did!