We affectionately call these little salmon bites “Sitka Chicken” because they look like... well… chicken nuggets, of course! While this recipe originally called for king salmon, keta salmon works even better in its place. Give these crunchy bites a shot—they are sure to be a winner!
- 1 pound king salmon, cut in 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup Panko
- Vegetable oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chile sauce (we love Sriracha!)
Arrange flour, egg, and Panko in three separate shallow plates or bowls. Season flour and Panko with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge salmon pieces in flour mixture, dip in egg, then coat in Panko.
Fill a medium saucepan, Dutch oven or electric fryer halfway with oil. Heat to 375°F. When oil is heated, fry salmon in batches, removing when golden brown and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Rest on a paper towel-lined plate.
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, and chile sauce. Dip salmon and enjoy!
More Tips for Using The Fish In Your Share
Darius Pickled Keta Sandwich
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sliced onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fillet keta salmon (approximately 12 oz)
- Bring all ingredients except salmon to boil. Reduce heat and add fish to poach for 10 minutes. Remove fish from liquid. Pat dry and allow to cool.
- Build your sandwich with your favorite toppings: pickles, lettuce, cucumber, mayo, hot giardiniera, etc. Note: Pickled keta will stay delicious for a few days in the fridge in an airtight container. Try it on a salad, charcuterie plate, or plain as a protein-packed snack.
Easy Lemon Pepper Whitefish
Few things beat the perfect simplicity of fish with lemon. Sprinkle a layer of lemon pepper, a pinch of salt, and a drizzle of olive oil over your fish before grilling. Serve it up with seasonal vegetables and a crisp white wine.
Boat Deck Cookin'
- with Darcie Egerton -
Darcie Egerton takes you through the recipe, step-by-step.