Festive, Fruity and Fiery
- For the Salad:
- 1 lb coho or keta salmon
- 1 tsp blackening seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ head romaine lettuce, sliced thin
- ½ head red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 c shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1 c pineapple salsa or 1 c diced pineapple mixed with cilantro and minced onion
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- For the Buttermilk Cilantro Dressing:
- ¼ c buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep the Grill
Preheat the grill over high heat.
Scrape the grill grates clean and coat the grates with a thin coating of high-heat oil such as canola.
Season the Salmon
Season salmon fillet with the blackening seasoning and salt.
Grill the Salmon
Grill the salmon, flesh side down for 5 minutes. Flip, then cook for another 3-4 minutes until cooked through. A thin fillet of salmon will need less time to cook on both sides.
Make the Dressing
Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix the Salad
In a large bowl combine the lettuce, cabbage, red onion, avocado, sharp cheddar, and pineapple salsa.
Make the Tortilla Strips
Heat the canola oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Fry the tortilla strips until crispy. Remove the tortilla strips to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
Toss the salad with the dressing and serve in individual plates topped with flakes of the blackened salmon. Garnish with crispy tortilla strips.