Alaskan Halibut Caprese
Augment a classic Italian caprese salad by adding wild Alaskan halibut.
- 4 (4-6 ounce) halibut fillets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 8 large fresh whole basil leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
Preheat broiler/oven to medium-high (450°F). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place halibut in pan and broil about 5 inches from heat source for 4 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Turn fillets over and season with salt and pepper.
Broil an additional 5 to 7 minutes for frozen halibut OR 1 to 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook until fish is opaque throughout.
Remove halibut from oven, layer 2 slices of cheese, 2 basil leaves, and 2 slices tomato over each portion. Return halibut to the oven and broil an additional 2 minutes, until cheese begins to melt. Blend balsamic vinegar and oil. To serve, spoon dressing over fillets and garnish with chopped basil.